Monday, October 17, 2011

Joy Rising....

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  One of my friends that I have not seen in almost a year showed up on my front doorstep on Sunday and it was such a great surprise!  She said that she passed my neighborhood and almost did not stop (to which I replied that I would have been so mad) but decided to just make a random stop and I am so glad that she did.  It was really good to catch up on life and spend a lot of time laughing - which is something we always do when we are together.  I say that to say this - little surprises in someone's life really make a difference, so when you have that instinct to do something for someone else, go with it!  Randomly showing up on someone's doorstep may or may not work but there are plenty of other things that we can do to help brighten someone's day - so thanks Dana for making a difference in mine!

I love moments in life when you get to experience kindness being given to someone so deserving.  Anytime I watch a show where someone's life is changed or their dreams come true - it makes me so happy and motivates me to want to do more with my own life!  I have had those moments happen in my life and it is always humbling and puts me in such a state of gratefulness.  But when I am able to see it happen to someone else, it is like no other!  The expression on their face says it all.  Their entire demeanor changes and as someone once said, it is like seeing joy rising!  I love that phrase (and yes, it did come from an Oprah show) but it is a great way to describe what happens.  An act of kindness - whether big or small - can really change a person's life.  The thing to remember is that these events may have never happened if someone had not decided to look outside their own interests and reach out to others.  We cannot wait for others to do something - we each are called to make a difference.  I promise that what you will get out of it will cause you to want to open your heart wider and do more! 

One of my goals in life is to always find bigger ways to make a difference.  With the holiday season approaching, I really want to challenge all of us to be a part of something bigger.  To do something that would truly make an impact on the lives of others - where we would not be paid back with material possessions, but with the opportunity to see joy rising.  I am working out the details now, but I hope that all of you will join me in this effort.  It will probably happen in December so be on the lookout for more details!  Until then, I challenge all of you to look for ways to share kindness with others in our day to day life.  If you have experience that in your own life - feel free to comment below and let us know how that made a difference in your life!


Today I am grateful for:  1.  A great weekend to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather  2.  Getting to run a 5k race on Saturday  3.  Emerald's dark chocolate and peanut butter mixed nuts - seriously, try them!  4.  A great day at work  5.  Hearing that my sister Cara is doing so well in her PTA program - she is doing exactly what she is meant to be doing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment