Friday, March 18, 2011

Life takes determination....

On Wednesday of this week, my Mamaw (my mom's mom) had a stroke.  She is 92 years old and when we found out, we were of course very concerned and worried.  For anyone to have a stroke is serious, but the effects are even greater when you add age to the factor.  I was able to go to the hospital today with Mom and my sisters to see her.  It was amazing to see how much she has improved in only two days.  Even the doctors were surprised at how well she was doing.  The stroke affected the right side of her body as well as her ability to speak.  Today she was using her right hand very well and was able to walk around some, too.  Although her speech is slurred some, that has not kept her from still talking a lot... yes, a lot haha! 

However, to know Mamaw is to know a woman who has always lived life with determination.  Even at 92, she has lived by herself and still drives places.  As we sat there and talked with her today, she told a lot of stories of her life and all that she has gone through.  She and Papaw went through times of separation during their early months together while Papaw served in the War.  They lived through the Depression and all that it entailed - all the while building a beautiful life together.  Papaw passed away in 1996 after almost 60 years of marriage and yet Mamaw has continued to stay strong even to this day.  As she talked about all this and more, I realized how consistent Mamaw has been throughout her entire life and even at 92 years of age - she is still determined to make the most of life and that has shown in her quick recovery.  She still has a road ahead of her and parts of life will now be different but as with every other chapter in her journey - she continue to lives with determination.  That is very inspiring to me.  I hope that as my life continues, I am able to live with determination in the good and the bad.  Thanks Mamaw for showing me that today!

Today also ends my extreme week.  I have to say that it has been a very productive, disciplined, and fun week - and that was the goal.  I got a lot of things marked off of my "to-do" list and was able to hang out with family or friends every day this week.  I did fall short the last 24 hours on the healthy eating part but everything else was all good!  And anyone who has had the chocolate chip paradise pie from Chili's understands why I had to break the rules a little :)

Today I am grateful for:  1.  Hanging out with family  2.  Having some time with my little nephew Wylie today  3.  Seeing how much Mamaw is improving  4.  Being inspired by Mamaw's determination  5.  The end of a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment