Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Some Fresh Fruit to Brighten the Day....

Today has been a really good day!  I am usually pretty chipper in the mornings and today was no exception.  I did not have any TV shows to catch up on this morning so I made a quick run to Kroger to get a few essentials - chapstick, toilet paper, mouthwash, contact drops, and lemonade.  Yes, those are listed in order of importance!  I was also able to take Axel for a morning walk (which I have not done in awhile) and that also gave me time to have my  morning prayer and get focused for the day.  It was freezing this morning so my walking and my talking were brisk - but I believe that Axel and God were both able to keep up with me.  I am definitely a lover of cooler weather - to me it gives that extra edge in your day and adds excitement to life!

At work this week, it is Customer Service / Spirit week.  I am not exactly sure what all it involves, but I know that they keep having various contests during the day as well as surprises for the employees - and the best part of all, we get to wear jeans all week!  We received an email saying that there would be free fruit for the employees today in the cafeteria.  Normally the wellness center offers free fruit on Mondays which consists of a few apples in a barrel - so I just thought it would be along the same lines.  Oh, how I was wrong!  I walked into the cafeteria and it looked like the garden of Eden had been recreated!  There were so many different kinds of fruit available - an overflow of color and smell just waiting for all of us.  As a lover of healthy food (and well, food in general) this was such a beautiful sight to me!  I noticed people leaving with plates piled high.  One lady even had a box full!  I just kept smiling as I saw strawberries, kiwi, peaches, clementines, grapes, apples, bananas, plums, and oranges - all for the tasting, and as some people clearly exemplified - for the hoarding as well!  I got my fair share (no, I did not fill up a box - just my lunch sack) and am looking forward to eating it over the next few days.  I did sample the strawberries and they were so good - the only way it would have been better is if there had been a chocolate fountain to dip them in - YUM! 

On a different note - I wanted to say that there is going to be another Pay It Forward event planned for the holidays.  A friend of mine commented on my facebook today that the leftover fruit should be given to a shelter - which I thought was a great idea.  However, at the end of the day there was nothing left.  I guess we all went a little crazy in the big fruit giveaway but it did remind me that I want to plan something big for the holidays and try to get as many people involved as possible.  Be on the lookout for more details and feel free to leave any ideas in the comment section! 

Yes, it might seem a little over the top for me to get so excited about some fruit but 1)  The visual of all that fruit was an overload to my senses and 2)  I do find joy in the small things (another way of putting it - it doesn't take much to excite me!)  So as  I look back over my day and think about what I am grateful for, some fresh fruit will definitely make the list.  What are you grateful for today? 


Today I am grateful for:  1.  Waking up in an extra good mood  2.  Great focus time and prayer -  being reminded of all the good things in my life  3.  A good workout (since I missed yesterday)  4.  Seeing my work team make great improvements  5.  All the fresh fruit given away today

 

No comments:

Post a Comment